Become a Lifeguard
Working as a YMCA Lifeguard is a great job and a solid starting point for a career in Aquatics. The Tampa Y lifeguard certification course incorporates classroom activities, group discussion and hands-on practice to teach participants required skills to be a successful lifeguard.
Our comprehensive YMCA Lifeguard Training course includes accident prevention, lifeguarding techniques, emergency systems, and rescue skills. The lifeguard class also includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer with AED, Oxygen Administration and First Aid.
Materials included with the cost of the program: YMCA Lifeguard Manual, Hip Pack, Whistle, and Resuscitation Mask. Class size is limited, pre-registration is recommended. Sign up for the lifeguard program today.
- Must be at 16 years of age before the first day of class
- Continuously swim for 350 yards
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only
- Feet-first surface dive in 8 – 10 feet and swim under water 15 feet
To receive Lifeguard Certification a participant must:
- Attend and participate in 100% of all class sessions
- Arrive on time for all class sessions
- Complete all eLearning assignments on time
- Score 80% or better on all written tests
- Demonstrate all skills proficiently and pass all scenario tests
- Demonstrate maturity, respect and responsibility regardless of passing written and skill test
Upon successful completion of the course the participant will be certified in:
- YMCA Lifeguarding
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- First Aid
- Oxygen Administration
Course Dates & Times
Classes are held monthly at most Tampa Family Y locations.
After completing the lifeguard certification course, successful participants will receive official lifeguard certification. Tampa Y employees and individuals interested in working for the Tampa Y will receive lifeguard training for free! (Individual must pass the swim test and must have completed the Tampa Y hiring process.)
Stay up-to-date on lifeguard certifications including CPR for the Professional Rescuer with AED, Oxygen Administration and First Aid.
Teens ages 14 & 15 who love the water and want to begin a career in Aquatics.
Lifeguard Prep Course
The program to help you prepare for the physical portion of the Lifeguard Certification Course.