Updated June 10, 2021
Playing Safe at the Y
The safety of our children, members, guests and staff is our top priority and we take this responsibility very seriously. The Tampa Y provided 10 weeks of relief care for children of essential workers while schools were closed during spring 2020, then 10 weeks of summer camp and a week of eLearning Support. We are committed to making our youth sports programs safe at all of our YMCA locations.
Safety Standards for Kids' Day Out and Summer Camp
We will communicate any changes to camp safety guidelines.
Last summer, the Y collaborated with the American Camp Association to create educational resources for camps, parents, and campers as well as state and local health departments. Click here to review the ACA camp operations guide we're currently following in Kids’ Day Out which include the following protocols:
- Campers are encouraged to wear face coverings while indoors and not participating in youth sports or other activities.
- Lower ratio camp groups spread throughout the whole facility.
- Individual and spaced out activities to practice safe social distancing where possible when inside. Limited sharing of supplies.
- Ample access to hand washing and hand sanitizer stations, especially at check-in, before meals and after restroom use.
- Y staff intentionally teach and encourage good hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and follow a strict sick child/staff policy.
- Disinfecting of supplies and activity areas will occur throughout the day.
Youth Sports Safety Standards
We continue to work with the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention to implement procedures that ensure we provide a safe environment for everyone who enters our YMCAs. Each of our centers have safety measures in place for our members and guests, and have implemented the following standards in our sports programs:
- All staff, coaches and volunteers will wear face coverings while indoors for the time being.
- Spectators are encouraged to wear a face covering while indoors.
- Benches, bleachers and equipment will be disinfected between each game.
- Games will be scheduled with adequate time in between to allow for cleaning and safe crowd transitions.
- Pre and post-game team huddles will be conducted with social distancing guidelines in mind.
- We may limit attendance to ensure a safe and comfortable environment.
- Attendance limitations vary by location.
- We encourage members to wear a face covering indoors while not exercising or participating in youth sports or other activities.
- Staff who are fully vaccinated are not required to wear a face covering, following CDC guidelines. Staff who are not fully vaccinated are required to wear a face covering indoors while not exercising or participating in youth sports or other activities.
To learn more about face coverings, overall safety standards at the Tampa Y and frequently asked questions, check out what we're doing to stay healthy together.