Thanks to the generosity of Florida Blue, the Tampa YMCA offers “free” water safety courses. The first week takes place during Hillsborough County spring break, a week in May and a week in September. This four-day course is taught by certified instructors who teach children skills that will reduce the risk of drowning and give them confidence in and around water. The program is offered Monday through Thursday and each class is 40 minutes in length. A typical session includes exercises to help children adjust to being in water. Children will learn “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets they can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water and they cannot touch bottom. The course covers specific safety topics like “what to do if you see someone in the water who needs help” and fun activities to reinforce new water safety skills.
Our Safety Around Water program will be offered free to the community over Spring Break, March 18th-21st and May and September. For more information, please contact your local Tampa YMCA or register online.
Spring Break Program (March 18th-21st):
Register your Preschooler (3-5 years) click here.
Register your School Age child (6-12 years) click here.
Proudly Funded By:
The Go for Green program is an opportunity for Tampa YMCA Day Camp participants who are unable to pass the YMCA’s swim test to receive basic instruction from our certified swim instructors during their camp week. Day camp participants will be swim-tested on the first day each week of camp. All participants classified as a “Red Band” swimmer or non-swimmer will receive water safety education and basic water safety skill instruction “free” of charge during their swimming time the week they are enrolled for camp. Go for Green classes will focus on water familiarization, pool rules, water safety rules, safe water entry and exit, front and back floating, and treading water and personal safety/rescue skills. The Tampa YMCA Go for Green program is offered during camp weeks 2 – 9.
The Children’s Board of Hillsborough County will conduct a mobile swim lesson and water safety education program utilizing swimming pools located throughout Hillsborough County. The Tampa Metropolitan Area YMCA, in partnership with Brandon Sports and Aquatic Center, will lead the mobile swim lesson and water safety education program. This program will be offered at apartment complexes and neighborhood associations and are designed to develop water safety skills both in and out of the water.
- The Tampa YMCA and Brandon Sports and Aquatic Center will offer mobile swim lessons for children ages 3 – 14 years. The program will be delivered by one of the organizations, based on location.
- The Tampa YMCA or partnering organization will provide certified lifeguards and swim instructors for the mobile swim lesson program to be offered onsite at designated properties.
- Mobile swim lesson classes will have a ratio of one instructor to six participants. Classes will meet for one week, Monday through Friday, for 45 minutes each day.
- Mobile swim lessons may be scheduled May through September, depending on availability. Classes will be offered between 10am-3pm during the summer school break, class times will vary by location. Classes may also be available between 5pm-7pm while school is in session during May, August and September.
- Water safety education will be provided for parents and/or caregivers while their children participate in the mobile swim lesson program.
Properties interested in hosting the Children’s Board Mobile Swim Lesson and Education program may contact Chris Alaynick, Director of Mobile Swim at email@example.com or by calling (813)224-9622, ext. 1292.
The Head Start Swim Lesson program provides one session of swim lessons to children ages 3-5 currently enrolled in a Head Start program. In addition, the program offers water safety education to participating Head Start locations throughout the school year.
This program is generously funded by Hillsborough County. The program includes community partnerships with the City of Tampa Parks and Recreation Department, Brandon Sports and Aquatics Center, Hillsborough County Head Start programs and Hillsborough County School District Head Start program.