WHAT IS SAFETY AROUND WATER?
Thanks to the generosity of the Tampa Bay Rays and United Way Suncoast, the Tampa YMCA offers “free,” water safety courses. The first week takes place each spring during Hillsborough County spring break. This 4-day course, taught by certified instructors, teaches children a sequenced set of skills that will reduce the risk of drowning and give them confidence in and around water. The program is offered Monday – Thursday and each class is 40 minutes in length. A typical session includes exercises to help children adjust to being in water. Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets children can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water or an area they cannot touch bottom. Specific safety topics like what to do if you see someone in the water that needs help and fun activities that reinforce skills.
Our Safety Around Water program will be offered free to the community again in May and September. For more information, please contact your local Tampa YMCA location.
The Go for Green program is an opportunity for Tampa YMCA Day Camp participants who are unable to pass the YMCA’s swim test to receive basic instruction from our certified swim instructors during their camp week. Day camp participants will be swim tested on Monday each week of camp. All participants classified, as a “Red Band”, swimmer or non-swimmer will receive water safety education and basic water safety skill instruction “free”, of charge during their designated camp swimming time for the week they are enrolled. Go for Green classes will focus on water familiarization, pool rules, water safety rules, safe water entry and exit, front and back floating, and treading water and personal safety/rescue skills. The Tampa YMCA Go for Green program is offered during camp weeks 2 – 9.
The Children’s Board of Hillsborough County will conduct a mobile swim lesson and water safety education program utilizing swimming pools located throughout Hillsborough County. The Tampa Metropolitan Area YMCA in partnership with Brandon Sports and Aquatic Center will lead the mobile swim lesson and water safety education program. This program will be offered at apartment complexes and neighborhood associations and are designed to develop water safety skills both in and out of the water.
- The Tampa YMCA and Brandon Sports and Aquatic Center will offer mobile swim lessons for children ages 3 – 14 years. Delivery of the program will be provided by one of the above organizations based on the location of property.
- The Tampa YMCA or partnering organization will provide certified lifeguards and swim instructors for the mobile swim lesson program to be offered onsite at designated properties.
- Mobile swim lesson classes will have a ratio of one instructor to six participants. Classes will meet for 1 week, Monday – Friday for 45 minutes each day.
- Mobile swim lessons may be scheduled May – September depending on availability. Classes will be offered between 10am-3pm during the summer school break, class times will vary by location. Classes may also be available between 5pm-7pm while school is in session during May, August and September.
- Water safety education will be provided for parents/caregivers while their children participate in the mobile swim lesson program.
Properties interested in hosting the Children’s Board Mobile Swim Lesson and Education program may contact Chris Alaynick, Director of Mobile Swim at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (813)224-9622, ext. 1292.
The Head Start Swim Lesson program provides one session of swim lessons to children ages 3-5 currently enrolled in a Head Start program. In addition, the program offers water safety education to participating Head Start locations throughout the school year.
This program is generously funded by Hillsborough County. The program includes community partnerships with the City of Tampa Parks and Recreation Department, Brandon Sports and Aquatics Center, Hillsborough County Head Start programs and Hillsborough County School District Head Start program.