Thanks to the generosity of Florida Blue, the Tampa YMCA offers “free” water safety courses. We will host our next session in August 2019. This four-day course is taught by certified instructors who teach children skills that will reduce the risk of drowning and give them confidence in and around water. The program is offered Monday through Thursday and each class is 40-minutes in length. A typical session includes exercises to help children adjust to being in water. Children will learn “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets they can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water and they cannot touch bottom. The course covers specific safety topics like “what to do if you see someone in the water who needs help” and fun activities to reinforce new water safety skills.
Our Safety Around Water program will be offered again free to the community August 5 – August 8 . For more information, please contact your local Tampa YMCA.
Proudly Funded By:
The Children’s Board of Hillsborough County will conduct a mobile swim lesson and water safety education program utilizing swimming pools located throughout Hillsborough County. The Tampa Metropolitan Area YMCA, in partnership with Brandon Sports and Aquatic Center, will lead the mobile swim lesson and water safety education program. This program will be offered at apartment complexes and neighborhood associations and are designed to develop water safety skills both in and out of the water.
- The Tampa YMCA and Brandon Sports and Aquatic Center will offer mobile swim lessons for children ages 3 – 14 years. The program will be delivered by one of the organizations, based on location.
- The Tampa YMCA or partnering organization will provide certified lifeguards and swim instructors for the mobile swim lesson program to be offered onsite at designated properties.
- Mobile swim lesson classes will have a ratio of one instructor to six participants. Classes will meet for one week, Monday through Friday, for 45 minutes each day.
- Mobile swim lessons may be scheduled May through September, depending on availability. Classes will be offered between 10am-3pm during the summer school break, class times will vary by location. Classes may also be available between 5pm-7pm while school is in session during May, August and September.
- Water safety education will be provided for parents and/or caregivers while their children participate in the mobile swim lesson program.
Properties interested in hosting the Children’s Board Mobile Swim Lesson and Education program may contact Chris Alaynick, Director of Mobile Swim at email@example.com or by calling (813)224-9622, ext. 1292.
The Head Start Swim Lesson program provides one session of swim lessons to children ages 3-5 currently enrolled in a Head Start program. In addition, the program offers water safety education to participating Head Start locations throughout the school year.
This program is generously funded by Hillsborough County. The program includes community partnerships with the City of Tampa Parks and Recreation Department, Brandon Sports and Aquatics Center, Hillsborough County Head Start programs and Hillsborough County School District Head Start program.