WHAT IS SAFETY AROUND WATER?
The Tampa YMCA offers a “free,” water safety course each spring during Hillsborough County spring break. This 4-day course, taught by certified instructors, teaches children a sequenced set of skills that will reduce the risk of drowning and give them confidence in and around water. The program is offered Monday – Thursday for one week, each class is 40 minutes in length. A typical session includes exercises to help children adjust to being in water. Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets children can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water or an area they cannot touch bottom. Specific safety topics like what to do if you see someone in the water that needs help and fun activities that reinforce skills. For more information, please contact your local Tampa YMCA location.
The Go for Green program is an opportunity for Day Camp participants who are unable to pass the YMCA’s swim test to receive basic instruction from our certified swim instructors during their camp week. Day camp participants will be swim tested on Monday each week of camp. All participants classified as a “Red Band”, swimmer or non-swimmer will receive water safety education and basic water safety skill instruction “free”, of charge during their designated camp swimming time for the week they are enrolled.
The Go for Green program is proudly funded and supported by the Rays Baseball Foundation, United Way and the Children’s Board of Hillsborough County. Classes will focus on water familiarization, pool rules, water safety rules, safe water entry and exit, front and back floating, and treading water and personal safety/rescue skills.
The Children’s Board of Hillsborough County will conduct a mobile swim lesson, water safety and CPR education program utilizing swimming pools located throughout Hillsborough County. The Tampa Metropolitan Area YMCA, with the support of local partners, will lead the mobile swim lesson, water safety, and CPR education program. Program partners include the City of Tampa Park and Recreation Department, Brandon Sports and Aquatic Center, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue and St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital. These programs will be offered at apartment complexes and neighborhood associations and are designed to develop water safety skills both in and out of the water.
- The Tampa YMCA, City of Tampa Park and Recreation Department and Brandon Sports and Aquatic Center will offer mobile swim lessons for children ages 3 – 14 years. Delivery of the program will be provided by one of the above organizations based on location of property.
- The Tampa YMCA or partnering organizations will provide certified lifeguards and swim instructors for the mobile swim lesson program to be offered onsite at designated properties.
- Mobile swim lesson classes will have a ratio of one instructor to six participants. Classes will meet for 1 week, Monday – Friday for 45 minutes each day.
- Hillsborough County Fire Rescue and St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital will provide water safety education and/or CPR education to participating properties throughout Hillsborough County.
- Water safety education will be provided for children and their parents/guardians ages 3 years and older.
- CPR education and CPR certification courses will be provided for participants 13 years and older.
Properties interested in one or more of the above program options may contact Amanda Walker, Aquatics Executive, Tampa YMCA at email@example.com or by calling (813)224-9622.
The Head Start Swim Lesson program provides one session of swim lessons to children ages 3-5 currently enrolled in a Head Start program. In addition, the program offers water safety education to participating Head Start locations throughout the school year.
This program is generously funded by Hillsborough County. The program includes community partnerships with the City of Tampa Parks and Recreation Department, Brandon Sports and Aquatics Center, Hillsborough County Head Start programs, Hillsborough County School District Head Start program.