Summer Camp Information Station
The Tampa Y is ready for summer camp 2020! Get ready for a summer of fun and learn everything you need to know about camp right here. Check out what’s new, what to bring to camp, parent and camper testimonials, special savings and more.
Welcome to the summer camp experience at the Tampa Y!
Because our community is strongest when we all participate together, financial assistance is available for Summer Camp. When you apply for Open Doors, rates are set by a sliding fee scale, based on income. Assistance is made possible by generous donations to the Y's Annual Giving Campaign. Please contact the location your family will attend camp for an application.
We are excited to introduce a whole new camp experience! Campers will have the opportunity to explore a variety of activities as they rotate through different “experience stations” with Activity Central. Some examples of activities campers may experience include: swimming, STEM, arts & crafts, outdoor education, games, team building and more. Activities are led by experts and seasoned team members who love working with children.
Add additional experiences to your camper’s days before and after traditional camp times of 9am-4pm. Examples of add-ons are: swim lessons, free swim, sports mix, ropes course, horseback riding, gymnastics, field trips and more. Add-ons vary by location and price, and are available only at the designated times. During registration, the add-on options available for the chosen location will appear.
Rates & Payment
What is the price per week in each camp?
Check out our registration page for detailed pricing on summer camps and specialty camps. Prices vary by location.
What camps are offered this year?
Summer camp specialties vary by location. Every location offers a variety of activities, some specialties, and a lot of fun!
Are there any registration discounts?
- Early registration: Feb. 15 – April 27 there is no registration fee.
- We offer an exclusive discounted rate to our members on all summer camp and specialty camp options. You can find prices on tampaymca.org/letscamp and clicking “Register Now.”
- We have scholarships available for those who qualify.
How much is it to register for camp?
There is a one-time registration fee of $30 starting March 2020.
Where do I make my payments?
All payments must be set to auto-draft. All payments will occur on Monday, one week before the registered camp week begins.
Can my child switch camps in the middle of the week?
No, we do not allow any campers to switch camp types or locations after that week of camp has already begun.
What does a member have to pay when they sign up?
- Upon registering for camp, a $30 registration fee must be made for EACH week of camp.
- If you must cancel a week of camp, participants will receive the remainder of the camp week fee (camp fee - $30) if you cancel before the camp begins.
- Remaining balances will be taken automatically on the Monday before the week of camp starts. The auto-draft/scheduled payment is mandatory. We cannot accept payment for summer camp in any location.
Registration will close one week before the week of the camp, the Sunday night, one week before camp starts.
What is the payment auto-draft schedule?
Camp Week Auto-draft dates
- Mon, May 27
- Mon, June 3
- Mon, June 10
- Mon, June 17
- Mon, June 24
- Mon, July 1
- Mon, July 8
- Mon, July 15
- Mon, July 22
- Mon, July 29
Will the week of July 4th be prorated?
No. There will be no camp on Thursday, July 4th (Week 5) and the week will NOT be prorated. NEW this year: We will have additional events each day and a special Fourth of July Celebration for families who have campers enrolled in camp Week 5.
What about campers with special needs?
- Two Tampa Y locations (North Brandon Family YMCA and the Bob Sierra Youth and Family Center) have camps for those with special needs.
- Parents/Guardians MUST contact the camp director at the location of camp to sign up. Registration for this camp type is NOT available online.
- If you have questions about your child’s needs at any Tampa Y location, contact the camp director to discuss/inform of any special needs.
What age does my child have to be to attend camp?
- All Tampa Y locations offer camp for those in rising 1st grade or older.
- Bob Sierra Youth and Family Center offers camp for rising kindergarten.
How are children grouped together at camp?
Age groups are based on the type of camp. For most camps, children will be separated by grades 1 & 2, and then grades 3-6, grades 7 & 8.
What are you camp ratios?
Normal Ratio: 1:15 / Pool Ratio: 1:10
Swimming at Camp
Will my child be swimming at camp?
- Campers will have will have the opportunity to swim/have pool time every day of camp (weather permitting), regardless of the type of camp they are registered.
What if my child does not know how to swim?
- All children will complete a swim test. The swim test consists of jumping into the deep end of the pool, resurfacing, treading for 1 minute, and then swimming to the shallow end (25yds)
- If a child does not pass, he or she will be given a life jacket to wear while in the pool.
What to Bring
What should my child bring with them each day?
- All items must be labeled with the camper’s first and last name
- Water bottle, closed-toed shoes, spray sunscreen, bug spray, backpack, swim suit, towel, lunch, snacks
Are electronics, toys, or phones allowed?
- NO. Please do not bring any electronics, toys, handheld video games, Legos, Pokemon cards, etc.
- The Y is NOT responsible for any lost or stolen property.
When will my child eat breakfast/lunch/snack?
Campers will eat breakfast between 7:30am-9am.
Campers will eat lunch between 11:30p-1:00p, depending on the type of camp.
We will offer a snack time around 3:30p-we do NOT provide snack
Will children be provided with the snack?
No. Campers should pack their own snack.
What is for lunch?
- We are a partner in Hillsborough County’s “Summer Break Spot.” They provide free breakfast and lunch to anyone in the community 18 & under. Our campers are welcome to receive a free breakfast and lunch each day!
- Menus will be available on our website as we get closer to the start of camp. The menus will be posted on our website each week.
- The menu/schedule repeats every two weeks.
Are there vegetarian or Gluten-free options?
- No, there are no special options available through Summer Break Spot.
- There are NO pork products.
- If a child has any food allergies, etc., please contact the camp director via email.
Pick-up & Drop-off Policy
If a parent needs to add an additional person to pick up their child, can they do so over the phone with a director?
NO, we do not allow phone call approvals. Our staff must have the parent’s signature - in person, fax, or a note sent with the child are the only acceptable ways to add another approved person for pick-up.
Where is drop-off & pick-up for day camp and specialty camps?
Drop-off and pick-up areas for camp vary by location. In the weeks closer to camp, we will post information on our website and each location will have signs to direct parents/guardians in the right direction.
What will my child do each day/week?
As we get closer to the beginning of camp, we will post Camper Schedules in the newsletter.
Summer Camp Experience campers will participate in arts and crafts, STEM activities, sports, group games, and team building every week.