This summer-long aquatics leadership development program is designed to provide participants with the skills that will introduce them to the aquatic environment. The Tampa Y Lifeguard in Training Program offers participants the opportunity to earn volunteer hours and gain leadership skills. At the end of the program, participants will have the opportunity to become certified in:
• ASHI Basic Life Support
• ASHI O2 (Oxygen)
• ASHI First Aid
Volunteer hours also count toward requirements from most schools and look great on college applications.
What will you do?
Participants will help with a variety of duties in YMCA aquatics, and their assistance is an essential part of our ability to ensure excellence in safety and the member experience.
- Bob Sierra North Tampa Family YMCA
- Campo Family YMCA
- New Tampa Family YMCA
- East Pasco Family YMCA
- North Brandon Family YMCA
- Northwest Hillsborough Family YMCA
- Plant City Family YMCA
- South Tampa Family YMCA
- Spurlino Family YMCA at Big Bend Road
• Participants must be strong swimmers. They will be required to tread water for 2 minutes and swim 100 yards.
• Lifeguard in Training Program training event at Bob Sierra Youth and Family Center, 4015 Ragg Road, Tampa. Saturday, June 8, 9am-5pm and Sunday, June 9, 12pm-4pm (must attend both days)
• Weekly group meetings at your home center
• Minimum of 50 volunteer hours throughout the summer (available hours vary; shifts are chosen by the participant)
Participants will help with a variety of duties within the aquatic department, to include greeting members, distributing swim bands, helping with swim lessons and/or swim team, aquatics camp, helping with pool maintenance duties, data entry, and special events.
Lifeguard in Training Program participants will assist in the aquatic department and are an essential part of our ability to ensure excellence – not only in member experience – but also safety. We take our responsibility to provide a quality program seriously and expect our participants to understand the commitment they are making when registering for this program.
BE A PART OF IT
If you are interested in participating in the Lifeguard in Training Program this summer, please return the registration form & payment to your YMCA by Friday, May 31. Applicants will be accepted in the order they are received and spots are very limited. Once registered in the program, the fee is non-refundable.
Please contact the aquatics department at your home center with any questions!
AGES: 14 – 16