A New Day, A New Y
You’re invited to join the Tampa Y as we cut the ribbon to the Spurlino Family YMCA at Big Bend Road next month. On January 10, we’re hosting a special ribbon-cutting ceremony at 5:30pm followed by a night full of fun family activities, group exercise classes and healthy food samples!
As the Tampa Y’s newest family facility in 18 years, the Spurlino Y is being built in an environmentally-friendly, responsible and efficient manner. Named after the lead donor and environmentally-minded philanthropist, the Spurlino Y is on track to receive LEED® Gold certification by:
- Designing the building to be over 20-percent more efficient than a comparable building.
- Utilizing plumbing fixtures that use over 35-percent less water than a comparable building, saving an estimated 280,000 gallons per year.
- Using locally-sourced building material to reduce greenhouse gas emissions caused by transportation.
- Installing a solar photovoltaic (PV) system to help offset 15-percent of the facility’s power needs.
- Using light-colored materials for the roof, pool deck pavers and sidewalk to help reflect the sun’s heat and reduce the heat island effect.
- Recycling over 90-percent of waste created during construction.
- Maximizing the views of the outdoors to increase the connection to nature, promoting occupant health.
- Installing low-emitting materials to promote healthy indoor air quality.
The LEED rating system, developed by the U.S. Green Building Council, is the foremost program for buildings, homes and communities that are designed, constructed, maintained and operated for improved environmental and human health performance. We’re can’t wait for you to see this state-of-the-art Y for yourself! Be sure to click here and RSVP to the Jan. 10 ribbon-cutting at 9650 Old Big Bend Road in Riverview. We hope to see you there!
On Jan. 10 at 5:30pm, the entire community is invited to a special ribbon-cutting for the Spurlino Family YMCA at Big Bend Road.